How, you ask, did 10BH accomplish this? More than 200 volunteer Role Models, a committed volunteer board, scores of donors, a team of 5 staff, and a pink house in East Palo Alto. In other words, human power.
We at 10BH want to express how incredibly thankful we are to all of those supporting us in our mission to change the world. Our Child-Parent Home Tutoring Program is completing its 5th year of operation, but before we do, we would like to share some highlights from 2016.
- Results: 10BH report card results revealed that three years of 10BH graduates are setting new standards in East Palo Alto by performing at or above grade level. This is remarkable because 90% of 10BH graduates are English Language Learners. In East Palo Alto, 81% of all students are below grade level and 91% of English Language Learners are below grade level
- Admissions: 10BH admitted nearly 25% of children who will enter kindergarten in East Palo Alto when they graduate 10BH
- Celebrations: 10BH’s 4th cohort of Learners graduated and began their journey into kindergarten
- Partnerships: Pediatricians at Ravenswood Family Health Center began formally prescribing 10BH to their patients
- Community: 10BH launched the 10BH learning community. Find fun activity ideas for your kids, too!
- Planning: The service area zone for 10BH’s second site was confirmed. 10BH will expand to East San Jose in 2018
"One of my patients this morning was wearing a 10BH hoodie so I asked her about it. This Mom was the only parent in the waiting room reading to her child and when I brought her into the room and was getting everything ready, she kept reading to her child. Thank you for helping so many of our patients!"
-RN, Ravenswood Family Health Center
Philanthropic Investments Highlights
- Hurlbut-Johnson Trust, the first investor in 10BH in 2011, invested for a 5th consecutive year
- Peery Foundation invested in organizational growth over the next two years
- Sobrato family invested in program growth over the next three years
- Van Natta family invested in personnel growth
- Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative invested in a 2017 Growth Based Evaluation of 10BH Learners
2017 sneak peek
- Applied Survey Research (ASR) will conduct a Growth Based Evaluation of 10BH Learners. This study will measure the effects of various aspects of 10BH programming, including English language development, language development, motivation to learn, and parent involvement
- 10BH will admit another 150 families (and, at least 150 volunteer Role Models), which comprises 30% of children who will start kindergarten in East Palo Alto when they graduate 10BH
- 10BH is preparing for multisite operations by upgrading its communications and coordination technologies and undergoing process optimization
- Positive effects of bilingual language development before age 5
- Local pediatricians endorse 10BH
- 10BH launches its first lesson documentary
How you can help?
- Tell your friends, family, and coworkers about our mission, our volunteer Role Model position, or our donation needs
- Like us on facebook and make pleas to your social network to like us, too
- Review us on VolunteerMatch. The more reviews we get the more people find out about our volunteer Role Model position
- Let us know if you have a special skill you'd like to share or would like to do a fundraiser (email@example.com)
We look forward to another record setting year in 2017. See you on the other side!