Be a child's Role Model. Just one hour a week! (To apply CLICK HERE)
Prevent the achievement gap and break the cycle of poverty by preparing children and families for kindergarten.
ABOUT ROLE MODELING
Role Models make a 6 month commitment to tutor a 3- or 4-year old child once a week in their home. Role Models bring and read donated books, have conversations, play letter and number games, practice writing, and engage in other creative activities that motivate children to learn while developing literacy, language, numeracy, and social-emotional skills. One lesson usually results in two-three hours of additional family learning.
Because parents sit with their child during every lesson, they learn new and creative ways to increase educational opportunities in the home. Parents get more involved for multiple reasons:
1. They are motivated by watching their child learn and develop
2. They realize they can be their child’s teacher too
3. Content is simple enough that level of education and language do not prevent parent involvement
4. The Compassion Effect: Parents feel personally obligated to reinforce the actions of the Role Models due to the fact Role Models volunteer their time to help families succeed
ROLE MODEL STATISTICS
- 58% are working professionals, 21% are college students, 16% are transitioning adults
- 25% are referred by someone they know
- The average Role Model stays at least 1 year
- 40% have made 2-year commitments
- Role Models provided more than 2,000 lessons in 2013
- Role Models read more than 2,000 donated books to their Learners in 2013
- Must make a 6 month commitment, once a week for one hour
- Lesson schedule: Monday-Friday 1:00-6:30 PM
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must pass a background check
- No experience required
- Must read FAQs about volunteering as a Role Model
- Complete an online application: CLICK HERE
- Complete a phone interview, office interview and background check
- Complete a Role Model training
- Be paired up with a child and begin preparing him or her for kindergarten!
- Phone: (650) 485-4877
- Daily updates: www.facebook.com/10booksahome
Apply now! CLICK HERE to fill out our online application.